Saturday, August 3, 2013

Chicken Enchilada Skillet

I LOVE Mexican food so when I ran across this recipe on Emily Bites I had to try it. I combined it with a corn soup to complete the meal. I will post that recipe later. I made the soup yesterday and chilled it overnight for today. Today I prepped all the ingredients before I started cooking to make a quick easy cooking process. The Enchilada Skillet is 8 points plus for 1/6 of the skillet.

My Complete 14 pt meal

Ingredients

1.5 lbs Frozen Chicken Breasts
3 cans Red Enchilada Sauce
1 t Canola Oil
1 Small Onion, Diced (I used a small vidalia)
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
3 T Chili Powder
1/2 t Salt
2 t Cumin
2 t Sugar
15 oz Can tomato Sauce
1/2 c Water
1-1/4 c Canned Black Beans, Drained and Rinsed
8 - 6 inch Corn Tortillas, Cut Into Bite Size Pieces
4 oz can Chopped Green Chilies
1-1/2 c Reduced Fat Shredded Sharp Cheddar

Directions

  1. Place frozen Chicken Breasts in slow cooker and cover with Enchilada Sauce
  2. Cook on high for 4-5 hours
  3. Take Chicken out of the slow cooker and discard remaining Enchilada Sauce.
  4. With two forks shred chicken
  5. Heat Oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add Onions and cook until softened.
  6. Add Garlic, Chili Powder, Salt, Cumin, and Sugar and stir to mix.
  7. Add Tomato Sauce and Water, stir to mix and simmer until thickened.
  8. Add Chicken and Black Beans, stir to mix.
  9. In a separate pan add cut up Tortillas and spray with cooking spray stir until heated through.
  10. Add Tortillas, Green Chilies, and 1 c of the Sharp Cheddar
  11. Mix until well combined
  12. Top with remaining Sharp Cheddar and Cover until cheese is melted on top.
I used a 4qt Crock Pot

I love shredding Slow Cooked Chicken it is sooooo easy.

I made the Tortillas into about 3/4" x 3/4" pieces



All my Prepped Non-Canned Ingredients
Simmering the sauce before adding the Chicken and Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment