Monday, October 7, 2013

Goat Cheese Mashed Sweet Potatoes

As you might guess from this blog I love to cook! Because of that I look forward to the holidays because it gives me a chance to plan a menu and cook for family and friends. I am probably one of the few people that looks forward to entertaining because I get to plan a meal. That being said I have actually started looking at recipes for the holidays. We all eat so heavy during the holidays and then not surprisingly the biggest month for gym membership signups is January. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to enjoy our meal without so much guilt that we had all that food? That is my goal for this year to make a healthy meal that doesn't make you feel that sense of regret later. Don't get me wrong I am still going to eat too much food but at least if it is a bit healthier I wouldn't feel as guilty. To start off this season I found my potato recipe on my first try!

I found a recipe on Emily Bites that is to die for and it makes 12 (1/2 cup) servings at only 3 points plus per serving. Goat cheese mashed sweet potatoes have a creamy almost velvety texture from the goat cheese while still being slightly sweet from the sweet potatoes. They are amazing!

Ingredients

3lbs Sweet Potatoes
1/2 cup Fat Free Half and Half
3 T Light Butter
2 oz Goat Cheese
1/2 t Rubbed Sage
Salt and Pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Peel and cube the Sweet Potatoes.
  2. Place the Sweet Potatoes in a large pot and cover with water.
  3. Cover and bring the water to a boil.
  4. Sprinkle with a couple pinches of salt and reduce heat to medium low.
  5. recover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
  6. When potatoes are tender drain out water and place potatoes in a large bowl.
  7. Add Butter, Half and Half, Goat Cheese, Sage, Salt and Pepper and mix with a electric hand mixer until smooth.
Nutritional information: Weight Watchers Point Plus: 3, 129 calories, 24 g carbs, 3g fat, 3g protein, 4g fiber.




2 comments: