Sunday, December 10, 2017

German Pancake

"If you are not the one cooking, stay out of the way and compliment the chef."
 - Michael Strahan

I guess this means I have to stay out of the way and compliment then because Giuliana was the one who measured and mixed all the ingredients, and cracked the eggs. All I did was read the directions, pour it into the pan and operate the oven. That is how easy this recipe is, my 5 year old is the one who basically made this.

This is a recipe that I grew up with. It makes me think of a snow day from school because it is truly a comfort food. This winter recipe can bring a smile to even the grumpiest non-morning person when they walk into the kitchen and see this.

My kids love watching the sides "grow" up the edges of the pan. Giuliana ALWAYS tries to pick the piece with the tallest wall. I personally have only used Powdered Sugar as a topping but I have heard of other people using lemon juice. I guess I will have to try it at some point.

Giuliana whisking the eggs


Nutritional Information (calculated on myfitnesspal.com): 6 servings, 261 calories, 17g carbs, 17g fat, 10g protein

Ingredients:

  • 6 T Salted Butter
  • 6 Eggs
  • 1 c Flour
  • 1 c Milk
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Powdered Sugar or Lemon Juice

Instructions:

  1. Preheat your oven to 425℉.
  2. When oven is heated place the 9"x13" baking pan with the Butter in the pan to the oven until melted.
  3. In a large bowl, beat 6 Eggs well.
  4. Add Flour, Milk, and pinch of Salt. Mix well.
  5. Remove pan from oven and pour in egg mixture.
  6. Bake for 25 minutes.
  7. Remove from the oven, cut into 6 pieces.
  8. Serve topped with Powdered Sugar or spritzed with Lemon Juice. (We favor powdered sugar.)

The kids love to see the pancake climb the sides.
It did not climb as much as it usually does but it still tasted delicious!
Giuliana cracking the eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment