Saturday, June 22, 2013

Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Tostadas

One of my main focuses when cooking is healthy foods. My wife is doing Weight Watchers and I have found that the best way that I can be supportive is by cooking meals that not only fit within the program but also are tasty because otherwise we both fall off the wagon and start eating more junk food. I have found that not only has it be a benefit to her program but I feel much better as well. For those of you who are also doing weight watchers, I will post the points for a recipe whenever I have them. (Which is most times.)

Recently, I have been really inspired to use Mexican flavors in my food. This recipe is one that I made from www.SkinnyTaste.com but Tammy and I both felt as if it was missing something so I made my own little addition that we both feel brings it all together and only adds one point per tostada. Black Bean Hummus inspired by Spark Recipes.


I need to work on my photography and presentation skills but I swear it tastes great!
6 ww points plus per tostada (we generally eat 2 for a meal.)

Ingredients and Directions:

Black Bean "Hummus"

2 Cans Black beans, Drained and rinsed
1 small onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
4 cloves garlic minced
2 T ground cumin
1 1/2 t olive oil
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 c salsa verde
  1. Place drained and rinsed black beans in the food processor and pulse a few times to start to chop up the beans.
  2. Put olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
  3. Add onions, peppers and garlic. Saute until fragrant and starting to brown slightly.
  4. Add cumin, reduce heat to medium and cook another two minutes.
  5. Add vegetable mixture to the food processor and pulse a few more times.
  6. Add salsa and cilantro and pulse to desired consistency.
  7. Can be stored up to 10 days in the refridgerator.

Crock Pot Salsa Verde Chicken

1 1/2 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 t garlic powder
1/8 t oregano
1/8 t ground cumin
16 oz salsa verde
  1. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker and cook on high for 2 hours or low for 4 hours.
  2. Remove chicken and shred with two forks.
  3. Remove 2/3 cups of the liquid in the slow cooker and discard.
  4. Return chicken to crock pot and combine with remaining salsa mixture.

Tostadas

3/4 c shredded red cabbage
2 t fresh lime juice (or to taste)
1 T chopped fresh cilantro 
Salt and pepper to taste
6 tostada shells
3/4 c shredded reduced fat Mexican cheese
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
  2. Combine cabbage, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
  3. Layer 1 1/2 T of "Hummus" 1/3 c Chicken, 2 T Cheese on each tostada and bake for about 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
  4. Top with cabbage and enjoy.

Ok I know it seems like a lot of work and a lot of ingredients but the "Hummus" can be made ahead of time and the chicken gets made in the crock pot. I have even made the chicken the day before and reheated before assembly and it still was outstanding! I hope you enjoy these and I will be posting more recipes in the coming days!


No comments:

Post a Comment